Sunday, January 21, 2007

Machiavelli Writing Journal Entry

What process did you use to select and narrow down anecdotes to use in your piece?

When I started writing my fable, I first turned to the handout on constructing a fable that was given to us. I initially brainstormed about the context and the context elements, thinking of a good way to set up the story with a strong character and strong themes. I also decided what I wanted my reversals to be before I started writing, for I knew that the reversals were the most important elements of a fable, as they help convey the message or the moral. After coming up with reversals, I was able to think of an explicit moral, and after those steps had been completed, it was fairly easy to come up with the anecdotes for the other elements of the story.

Is your Resolution positive or negative?

My Resolution is both positive and negative. It is positive for the couple in my story that was used by the main character, Melinda, but was negative for Melinda herself. I like this choice, as I believe there is a reversal in the reader’s opinion of Melinda as a character. Initially, one feels sorry for Melinda because of how hideous she believes she is, but by the end, you feel little sympathy for her as a result of her greedy actions.

What is the Moral?

There are three morals in my story. The first moral, which has to do with my first cycle of the fable structure, is that one should not openly trust strangers. Cynthia and John agree to follow Melinda to her cottage where she promises them more delicious oranges, leading to the spell that is cast upon Cynthia and the “kidnapping” of John. The second and third morals, which have to do with the second cycle of the fable structure, are that one should not try to break apart true lovers and that one should not be overly greedy. Melinda believes that she can make John fall in love with her because of her new beauty, but she fails at this, for John loves Cynthia. She also tries to call upon the witch to solve her problems, but because of her greed and neediness, she is turned back into her original, hideous state.

Do you think your Reversal comes off successfully; does it “surprise” the reader? Why or why not?

I think my final reversal does come off successfully. I think that it conveys the moral well, and that the reader doesn’t necessarily expect Melinda to call upon the Witch again or for the Witch to come and reverse the spell.

Did you return to Machiavelli’s fable as an example and point of reference while you constructed your piece?

I never really turned to Machiavelli’s fable as a point of reference, mainly because his fable was a satirical piece, and mine was not. The handout on fable structure, however, was fairly helpful, and our discussions in class about how to structure fables were also very helpful. Sometimes I would think of Machiavelli’s piece when I was writing, but his style and tone was so different than mine that I did not take much inspiration or advice from it.

What was the most challenging part of the assignment?

The most challenging part of the assignment was including two fable cycles in one two to three page story. At first, I did not think I could achieve this, but somehow I was able to fit it all in. I’m glad I was able to do this, for I realized that the most important morals of my story (the ones in the second cycle) would not be able to be conveyed without the second reversal.

Do you feel better prepared to construct your next story after having done this assignment? Why or why not?

I think this assignment has prepared me for the construction of my next story to some extent, but I also feel that the fable has such a unique structure that it will not necessarily apply to my future story-writing. However, just the fact that I had to work within the restrictions of the fable structure has helped me, as it forced me to write in a style that I had never used before.

No comments: